*Disclosure: I received access to the web site for free and have been compensated for my time on writing this review. All opinions are my own. You can read more about my disclosure policy here.
Do not miss the chance for FREE access at the bottom of the post.
Standard Deviants Accelerate, provides supplemental high school classes online. While they have served the education community for over 20 years they have now expanded to online classes. If this is your first time hearing about Standard Deviants Accelerate, I recommend watching their videos on How it Works for Homeschool.
My kids have been borrowing Standard Deviant videos like The Standard Deviants – English Grammar 2-Pack
from our local library for years. So I was excited to learn more about their supplemental high school classes online.
My daughter plans to attend our local community college to become a pastry chef. I wanted to design a class that would address her interests and provide knowledge needed for future college classes. Since SDA is designed to be a supplemental online class I have paired it with other curriculums.
She has begun the class on Nutrition provided by SDA. My goal is for her to review the aspects of digestion and then get an introduction into the food industry. She has completed the first two chapters in the month of August as an ease back into the school routine. In September she will begin Food: A Cultural Culinary History series by Great Courses. We have planned a weekly cooking class where she will prepare a meal from each lesson of the course. I have extra reading books and projects for her to complete for a high school credit in Food and Nutrition.
After completing supplemental high school classes online: my daughter’s thoughts
- She really liked being able to read the class notes after watching the video. She is struggling with being able to take notes and listen at the same time.
- When taking a test and getting a wrong answer she liked that the program would show her small clips of the video with the information to the correct answer. The final chapter tests were tweaked to reflect which questions she had gotten wrong in earlier quizzes.
- In the beginning she did miss that there were tabs at the top for her to take the quizzes and find the vocabulary section. She had to play catch-up on the quizzes before she could take the test.
- She would take another supplemental class from SDA.
Now I know there are many thoughts on how things work in the food industry. For example: I may not agree with all aspects of the Food Pyramid but at the high school level I like being able to debate information provided in curriculums. Overall I think the Nutrition course has provided a big picture of things we need to cover in depth before entering the food industry.
Since my kids occasionally accompany me to the office, I will be adding my sons to the American history class.
Benefits for Supplemental High School Classes Online:
- Provide extra review and exposure to material.
- Practice note taking skills.
- Gain experience in test taking.
- Foster independent learning.
- Supplementing classes allow time for hands-on learning and not relying on huge amounts of screen time.
- If a temporary illness or emergency happens, a month of classes can help keep school happening.
The price structure for Standard Deviants Accelerate:
- One subject for $99 a year
- One subject for $24.95 a month (AP Subjects 14.95/month)
Now if your budget is already spent this school year, you might be excited to read the amazing offer SDA has extended to the homeschool community.
FREE 6 month full access to ALL 14 subjects on SDA for homeschoolers!
Sign up by November 15th
Click the image to sign up.