Yes, this year Pi Day is on a Saturday. One of the beauties of homeschooling it taking off another day in the week and doing school on Saturday.
I was excited to find many free Pi Day lesson plans. I pinned most of them on my Pi Day board.
If you are already overwhelmed with life might I suggest only buying a pie already baked and celebrating with your kids by having pie for dessert. That is how I celebrated the last two years.
Now if you have some time, a printer and a stocked pantry let the Pi Day Lesson Plans begin!
Pi Day Lesson Plans:
Food and Snacks:
- Of course any type of pie works but keep thinking about any other foods with pie in the name or that are round in shape.
- My kids will be doing the majority of cooking for these meals as part of our lessons.
- Our Menu for the day:
- Breakfast Pie Pizza
- Quesadillas and apples for lunch
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Apple Pie
- Since 3 of my kids play piano we will be working on them playing the notes of Pi on the piano.
- I suggest watching the YouTube on Pi(ano) Song.
- I think this Pi Day Poster will help them with playing the notes.
- Pi Day even has its own carols. Try singing one of them.
Books and Videos:
- My favorite is to use whatever books my local library has on hand. This year we will be reading Why Pi? (Big Questions) and Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure)
- I was happy to find a free activity guide to accompany the Sir Cumference book.
- Pi Day on YouTube
- The Story of 1 which I was able to find on disc on Netflix.
- We will be taking a Facebook poll on favorite pies and creating a bar graph of the results.
- I loved the visual of creating a Pi Day necklace.
- For fun a blogger created a Pi Day exercise routine.
After an hour of researching I was happy to find more than enough fun math things to do with my kids on Pi Day.
I think at the exact moment of 3.14.15 at 9:26:53 we will start clanging pots and pans together to signal the beginning of our Pi Day Lesson Plans Begin!