Time to create our North Star Geography Notebooks!
First thing I did was review the teacher’s introduction in the front of the book. I am notorious for jumping in and then missing a few small details, ok maybe some big details too.
Since my boys are 9th and 6th grade I made some choices to skip some sections in North Star. First I am not requiring them to do the memorization lessons and we will skip the research section. My goal is to expose them to geography and adapt for their learning needs.
My boys like to know the big picture before they can settle into the details. I have taken the suggested schedule in North Star and tweaked to reflect the choices I have made. This will be the first page in their notebooks. Yes, we only do lessons 4 days since the 5th is co-op day.
North Star Geography Notebooks: Supplies
- 3-ring binder
- 6 dividers or tabs
- Pouch to hold glue stick and colored pencils
- Printer ready with paper and ink
North Star Geography Notebooks: Printing
- Print the first page of the student reader for a cover page for the notebooks.
- Print the 16 note taking pages and put under tab 1. Each lesson has its own note taking page.
- Print the vocabulary notebook pages and put under tab 2. (more info below on this section)
- Print Atlas building section and put under tab 3. I did the 26 pages double sided to save on paper.
- Print the outline maps needed for Atlas building and put under tab 2 matched with the lessons. That is 16 maps total, one world, two Europe, two N. America, two S. America, two Africa, two Middle East, two Asia, two Oceania, and one Antartica.
- Print Activities section and put under tab 4. I did the 55 pages double sided to save on paper. I want my boys to select which activity they will complete each week.
- I printed a blank book list to put under tab 5. My kids can track the extra books they read from the library.
- I did not print the quizzes or tests. My boys will be taking them online at the Bright Ideas Press website. I will allow them to take the quizzes open book.
- Tab 6 will be for any extra maps or projects completed over the school year.
North Star Geography Notebooks: Vocabulary
This section needed my most attention. To quote Tyler Hogan, “How you wish to incorporate vocabulary is entirely up to you.” So I created a plan for my students.
I created 3 Geography Vocabulary notebook pages for this section. One page allows for basic word and definition style in a list form. The second page has a blank box to provide a visual for the vocabulary word. The third page is blank to create or copy labeling of vocabulary in things like the layers of the earth.
I then went through each lesson and decided which Geography Notebook page I want my boys to use for the bolded words in the text.
If you would like a PDF of my schedule I created this Geography Vocabulary Schedule
Then I will plan some vocabulary games to review the terms throughout the year. My boys enjoy hangman and matching games.
Next up to plan my literature books to correlate with North Star.