Online Class for The Mystery of History Volume III
This year I had my homeschool mom radar on high alert for opportunities to help me provide all the subjects needed by my students. After weighing the options, I decided on placing one student in the live version and one student in the self-paced.
With the creating of The Mystery of History Online Academy I was excited to think of Linda Lacour Hobar as my personal instructor for history.
I am beyond elated that she will be providing new information and stories not in the book. That she will be clarifying and elaborating on difficult topics found in the lessons.
Now at my house, the number one thing that slows down the homeschool momentum is not having a plan together.
The second…grading papers.
The third...especially homeschooling my boys… would be missed deadlines. Having my sons accountable to someone else for some of their subjects will keep us on track.
Online Class for The Mystery of History: The Plan
- A syllabus was provided giving the structure of spending 3 days on the lessons.
- The 4th day for mapwork, timelines, and activities.
- Then the 5th day would be for watching the class and then taking the online quiz.
- Over the weekend a chance to read books or watch movies.
- Now my boys come ready to class to hear Linda Hobar discuss that weeks lessons. The weekly powerpoints have really helped my boys with understanding the lessons.
- We have all enjoyed a few great discussions when I ask them to summarize what Linda Hobar shared in class.
Online Class for The Mystery of History: Grades
- Since my boys have different learning needs, I love that we get to decide together what to complete each week. They are asked to complete 80% of the possible work on the weekly work grade rubric.
- After class they take the online quiz. They must score a 70% or better to advance.
- I receive an email with their grade for the quiz when it is completed.
- While the online class for The Mystery of History will give me their grades for the tests, it is still my job to award the credit based on tests and other work completed at home.
- If you add grades to the weeks on the yearly Excel file it will automatically insert the grades to the annual page.
- Now it is set-up to take weekly grade earned and average with the test…so you need to think of 80% as the 100% for giving an A or I just give my kids credit for the assignments they didn’t complete so that a 100% will be used in the average; provided they did 80% of the work that week!
Online Class for The Mystery of History: Live vs Self-Paced
What is the difference between the live and self-paced class…other than price.
- Live students watch the class using Zoom.
- They can ask and answer questions in class.
- Class meets every Tuesday at the same time.
- Self-paced students watch class on the Bright Ideas Press website.
- Self-paced students can only ask questions via the forum on the website.
- The recorded class can be watched any day or time.