Read, Our Journey with Leg Braces, Part 1 first.
The amazing blessing about Eyes, remember the knitted alligator, well he fits in my son’s pocket. Now Eyes could travel with us to the hospital to pick up his leg braces. It brought tears to my eyes when I realized how God weaved all these details together.
While we waited on doctor appointments I read to him stories from Profiles of Valor- Character Studies from the War of Independence. We discussed the topics of courage and endurance.
The first 24 hours into leg braces…Mom I do not think I can do this. Yes son, just like the process Green Blankie went through being repaired, you can survive this. We just have to take it one moment at a time.
Mom I think I need a prize for all this hard effort. Me too son, I happened to have tickets to see the Battleship New Jersey has a reward for your hard work on wearing them. My son wants to join the Navy someday so this is a big thing for him.
Mom, I am glad I chose camouflage for my leg braces. It reminds me of being a soldier and it is my duty to wear these.
Since he has to be in them 18 hours a day, I let him decide which hours he wants to rest. He likes having a say about it.
He has not figured out running or hard playing while in leg braces, instead we are increasing his swim time. He now has a new love for his swim lessons because he can do this activity brace free.
Lessons Learned While Wearing Leg Braces:
- Finding shoes to fit over leg braces might be the most complicated thing about leg braces.
- Remove the inserts for the shoes to fit better.
- Balancing in shoes that are 5 sizes bigger then your last pair, might take days to adjust.
- Getting a boy in leg braces on the top bunk, not an easy thing to do, you might need a different place to sleep.
- Not being able to stand on your toes to reach your breakfast bowl might cause you to cry.
- Good lotion will be helpful for protecting the skin around the straps of the braces, but only use lotion at night. Skin needs to be kept tough throughout the day.
- Dr. Scholl’s Moleskinfor covering up red marks to keep the skin from breaking down.
- Getting up off the floor.
I could have jumped for joy when my co-worker knew exactly how to teach my son to get up off the floor. It seems theater majors take classes on bio-mechanics and how to dramaticaly get up off the floor was part of his studies.
When the hard days came, I found my son encouraging me. “Mom, I am so glad my braces our camouflage colored; it reminds me of a soldier’s duty and I know I must wear my leg braces.”