I would imagine if you are interested in reading this post you must be in planning mode for teaching The Mystery of History. Those days when you are scouring the internet looking for resources and ideas. I hope you find my post a useful timesaver.
Do to copyright you will find material from Bright Ideas Press to be lesson specific but freebies will be topic related. You can read more at the FAQ section on copyright at Bright Ideas Press.
Teaching with The Mystery of History Vol. I
First thing you need to decide are which components of The Mystery of History are you going to complete. Yes, that means you are not expected to do everything mentioned in the book. No, this is not an exhaustive list but it should keep you busy planning for awhile.
If you are brand new I suggest watching this 10 minute video on What Do I Need to Teach The Mystery of History.
Please note: the difference between the 1st and 2nd Edition includes date changes, spelling of Chinese names, updated activities and some lessons have additional information.
You can always ask your questions live at The Mystery of History Facebook group!
Teaching with The Mystery of History: Atlases
If you are going to do the map work assigned at the end of each week a good atlas can help students complete the assignments.
- Amazon carries The Student Bible Atlas, The Historical Atlas, and The Then and Now Atlas
- Bright Ideas Press publishers of WonderMaps includes the outline maps and answer key maps for all four volumes of The Mystery of History.
- If you need to go the free route, Googling by topic can help you find biblical maps like found in this list.
Teaching with The Mystery of History: Activities
Each lesson in the book has an activity for younger, middle and older students but if you are looking for more hands-on fun…then the following list will help you plan more.
- Greek Ideas
- Egypt Ideas
- Roman Ideas
- Ultimate Guide to Ancient History
- Terracotta Warriors lesson
- 7 Days of Creation Lego Project
- Activity 1B from the book
- Ancient Mesopotamia History Unit Study
- Archimedes Screw
- Phoenician Timeline Figures, Books and Resources
Teaching with The Mystery of History: Audio/E-book
- MP3 files from The Mystery of History
- The Cat of Bubastes audiobook
- E-book available on Amazon Quarter 1, Quarter 2, Quarter 3, Quarter 4 (Please note this only includes the lesson, if you want the complete curriculum you need to buy the Companion Guide.)
- Jim Hodges Scope and Sequence PDF