Life of Fred Honey Extra Resources
We like to end each of our Life of Fred Honey lessons with games. I have found my son more engaged to learning math facts if it means beating me in a game. I try to buy a new math game for each book.
My son enjoys keeping his math notebooks. These blog posts I have written on Life of Fred Apples, Butterflies, Cats, Dogs, Edgewood, Farming, and Goldfish have become our lesson plans for completing each book. The first two years of using Life of Fred we did so exclusively. This year we have added in another math curriculum for extra reinforcement of concepts. My son has also become more independent in working with Life of Fred now that he has math confidence.
My son asked me to create a Life of Fred Honey Notebook Page.
These are the extras I plan to use to help my son with concepts and to explore other topics in the Life of Fred Honey book.
Life of Fred Honey Chapter by Chapter:
Quizlet has flashcards on the vocabulary in Life of Fred Honey.
- Coloring page of a fish aquarium to create the 18 different color plants.
- Use the stairs to practice counting natural numbers and skip counting by 3.
- Read the book The Crayon Box that Talked
- On our next trip to the store or library I am going to have my son figure out how long it will take to get there. The algebraic equation is d = rt where d stands for distance (number of miles), r stands for the rate of speed (speed limit), and t stands for time (hours of travel).
- Cardinal, Ordinal and Nominal numbers visuals to help remember the difference. Then copy or draw your own examples on the notebook page.
- See a visual of the Time Zones of the World.
- List of videos on Time Zones.
- Math Mammoth worksheet on multiplying by 10, 100 and 1000.
- A fun list of facts about million, billion and trillion.
- Atomidoodle, A Periodic Table Game
- Learning Resources Pizza Fraction Fun
- Fractions Dominoes Challenge Cards
- Create a compass rose for his Life of Fred Honey math notebook.
- Review and play game of choice
- Educational Insights Free-Range Fractions Game
- Or get an egg carton and string and role play
- For fun learn How to Tie a Lasso Knot
- Or watch How to Lasso
- Division Man…I am sure at my house he will be Fred’s new best friend.
- Introduction to long division with boxes
- Hard Math Problems Award
- 36 quarters to demonstrate the 4 times table
- Small essay writing prompt: How will you care for your mom when she is old?
- Why are honeycombs hexagons?
- Honey snacks
- Create your own flashcards or practice the online version
- Create cards with the answers to the flashcard facts. Now play memory with the cards by matching the facts with the answers
- How to Become a BeeKeeper
- Honey Bees Back Yard Beekeeping
- Rise over Run explanation
- End of the Book Math Party
- I like to spend the day reviewing math facts and discussing concepts learned in the book. I usually provide a fun snack and ask for feedback from my son.
Educents carries the Life of Fred Series for a discounted price.