For my daughter’s high school science credit, she is using the Biology 101 Series. I do enjoy the frame work of the provided lesson plans.
Currently my daughter has no desire to continue science beyond the credits she needs to graduate high school. I find with the Biology 101 Series I can offer her a solid foundation without getting bogged down with heavy scientific procedures.
I wanted to share the extra resources I found on the web to enrich our science studies. Currently we have completed the first 2 units, Introduction to Life and Plants. Future blog posts will contain the other units.
These are activities in addition to the provided lesson plans that we completed.
Biology 101 Series Introduction to Life:
- Taxonomy: I found 2 projects I liked on this subject. One was completing an ABC book of different animals, A Taxonomic Adventure. The second was becoming an Alien Taxonomist and classifying alien animals. My daughter chose to do the Taxonomic Adventure.
- Creation and the Bible: Answers in Genesis provided us with many resources on this topic. I had my daughter create a power point on her research.
- In addition to the unit’s lesson plans, I had my daughter complete a compare and contrast on Darwin’s beliefs and the book of Genesis.
Biology 101 Series: Plants
- To review from previous years of science she watched the Eyewitness:Plants and completed the listening guide found at movie sheets.com.
- I found a great Leaf Identification lesson complete with a power point.
- She did two labs with the plant studies. One was a dissection of flower, the other lab was creating slides of plants.
- I created a plant notebook page to document the 10 plants identified from our yard. I added to the assignment by requesting vascular and nonvascular plants be found. I had her photograph each plant. The box on the page is exactly 4 X 6 size for the photographs.
- A local college has planted state trees. We were able to locate and identify a nice variety of trees from the Buckeye tree to the Holly tree.
Next I am planning the Aquatic Creations lessons. I am including a dissection of a perch for her lab time. If you would like a look ahead on what I am using, follow my Bio 101 board on Pinterest.
(The following are my Amazon Affiliate links to items I used to teach Biology 101 Series. Buying through these links helps to support the running of this blog.)