Does batch freezer cooking meal plans overwhelm you? The unknown of completing the process for the first time often overwhelms me on a large project. Then the hardest part for me, just getting the process started.
Gain Experience and Motivation with Batch Freezer Cooking:
- Schedule a dinner out at Chipotle and then tackle the grocery shopping. In other words create some rewards for getting the job done. I hate shopping. I often imagine the big conveyer belt in the sky just dropping down and my groceries rolling off the belt into my pantry. If I have motivated myself to get the food purchased for the batch freezer cooking…I will not let the food go to waste. Having the food purchased starts the timer on getting the job done.
- Hiring teenagers to help. I used to joke that I should have grown an extra set of arms when I gave birth to my second child. Which in hindsight I am glad I did not because my brain could not keep up with the multitasking of another set of hands. Thankfully I have a house full of teenagers. If you do not have teenagers, find some at your local church. My daughter helps me with prep work and my boys are on clean up duty.
- Cook one batch a day. Sometimes my schedule does not allow for a huge block of time to prepare. I have found breaking up the tasks to be helpful.
- For example with batch freezer cooking for breakfast I would give each day of the week a food to prepare. Monday I will cook and prepare all the Egg and Sausage English Muffins. Tuesday I will cook a triple batch of pancakes. Wednesday I will assemble the yogurt smoothie bags, especially since the yogurt needs to freeze in the ice cube trays first. Thursday I will assemble the oatmeal bags. Friday an extra batch of muffins can be done. Whatever I am preparing that morning my kids will have for breakfast.
- For dinner batch freezer cooking I break down the jobs similar to breakfast. Mondays I will cook and assemble all the hamburger meals. Tuesday I will do the chicken meals. Wednesday I will do the soup meals. Thursday I like to do some smaller vegan meals for myself. Hopefully everything is done so I can take Friday night off!
- Gather friends to serve others.This one was my favorite idea. I had really wanted to purchase a prepared batch freezer cooking plan. A friend at church wanted to prepare some meals for 3 expecting mothers and I had a reason for buying a prepared plan. If the ladies get together we could cook 21 freezer meals and give each woman 7 meals for the freezer. A ladies event was created that day.
- I decided to purchase the crockpot meal plan from 5 Dollar Dinners. I divided up the shopping list among the women. I printed out the labels and recipes. I made sure the women brought their own cutting boards and knives. First we gathered on a Sunday afternoon and prepped all the ingredients. Then while things were cooling we gathered and ate dinner together. After the meal we assembled the freezer the bags. We did invite the expectant mothers to join us but they did not need to help. It took about 4 hours to get everything done, which included stopping to eat dinner. It was a great evening of fellowship and awesome to send home 7 crockpot freezer meals ready for when the new babies are born. (Yes the plan is for 20 meals but we were able to get an extra meal out of the ingredients to keep the numbers even)